The Occupation Certificate authorises the occupation and use of a new or altered building or, the occupation of “a change in building use” for an existing building.

Only the nominated PCA can issue an Occupation Certificate. Prior to issuing an occupation certificate, the PCA must be satisfied that the construction works satisfy certain legislative requirements, such as the Building Code of Australia and that the building or nominated part of the building is suitable for occupation.

Key considerations are structural adequacy, fire safety and the health, safety and amenity of future occupants of the building.