BDDS has extensive experience in helping clients with situations where building construction has been carried out without formal approval from either Council or Private Certifier.

This situation can occur when Council has become aware of the unauthorised works and has issued a Show Cause letter or Order letter.

Council under certain circumstances have the authority to have these illegal structures demolished and the works reinstated as was originally constructed. Usually, a fine is imposed, and an order is given by Council to have works rectified within a certain period.

It is important if you receive an order from your local Council, not to ignore the order but to seek advice on how the problem can be resolved. Council should be notified that you are seeking that advice.

The first step is to contact an experienced building professional who is familiar with the local planning codes and building regulations.

How can BDDS Help?
The first step is to determine the extent of unauthorised works on site, review Councils Show Cause, Order or Request for information letter and liaise with Council to determine the best way forward.

We charge an initial investigation fee of $330.00 including GST that includes the following:

  • Site inspection, and photos.
  • Reviewing Councils show cause, order, or request for further information letter.
  • Liaising with Council via email or phone.
  • Preparing a fee proposal for a Building Information Certificate and/or a Development Application and Construction Certificate.

Please note this fee is payable in full prior to our site visit.

Building Information Certificate
Most Councils require you to lodge a Building information Certificate (BIC). This is required to prove that the building complies with the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and all the relevant Australian standards. This may include some or all of the following:

  •  A detailed survey of the property to make sure the building sits inside the boundaries.
    It gives council more details of the property including levels and location of adjoining
    properties easements.
  • Site measure and preparation of Architectural drawings including site & floor plans,
    elevations, and section through the affected part of the building to indicate the extent
    of unauthorised work and proposed alterations required to ensure compliance with
  • Building code of Australia (BCA) Report This is required to make sure the building
    work complies with all the various aspects of code and Australian standards work is
    carried out by a specialist consultant.
  • A Structural Engineers report that demonstrates that the building is structurally
  • A Pest Certificate to ensure the is building compliant with the relevant Australian
  • An Electrical Certificate from a licensed Electrician to ensure the Electrical works
    comply with the Australian Standards.
  • A Plumbing Certificate from a licensed Plumber and Sydney Water to ensure the
    works comply with the plumbing code.
  • If there are wet areas i.e., showers and bathrooms, a waterproofing Certificate by a
    qualified water proofer.
  • A glazing Certificate is often to ensure the glazing complies with Australian standards
    especially if there are large glass doors.
  • Other specialist Certifications as maybe required.
  • Preparation of documents and forms then the lodging of documents with the local